I am a solicitor in the regulatory team at Markel Law, based in the Manchester office.
I specialise in regulatory work, defending both businesses and individuals under investigation or facing regulatory action. I have a particular specialism in education, health and social care regulation.
I understand the immense pressures that come with operating a regulated business and the impact an adverse finding can have. I support organisations to robustly challenge unfair findings and to resolve regulatory issues as swiftly as possible in order to minimise the impacts on businesses, their reputation and most importantly, the individuals they provide services for.
Ofsted & CQC
I am experienced in representing organisations and individuals regulated by Ofsted, across a range of sectors, including early years provisions and childminders, children’s homes, adoption and fostering agencies, maintained and independent schools, residential family centres and training providers. I am also experienced in representing a wide range of organisations regulated by the CQC.
I have experience advising clients in relation to:
- challenging inspection reports;
- notices of proposals to cancel or refuse registration;
- notices of decisions to cancel, refuse, suspend and vary registration, as well as notices to restrict accommodation;
- criminal investigations including interviews under caution;
- appeals to the First-tier Tribunal; and
- whether an organisation is required to be registered with Ofsted/CQC.
Fitness to Practise
I have represented registered professionals across a wide range of regulatory bodies in the health, social care, education, accountancy and psychotherapy professions. I have represented clients before regulators such as:
- General Medical Council (GMC);
- General Dental Council (GDC);
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC);
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC);
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA);
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW);
- British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapy (BACP);
- United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP);
- Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA);
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
I represent and advise clients from the outset of proceedings at the investigation stage, through to substantive hearings before professional conduct panels, as well as interim order hearings.
I have represented providers at inquests, where they have Interested Person status. I am alive to the complexities of inquests often running in parallel to regulatory proceedings. I look to approach these cases with this in mind, to ensure that a client’s position is protected.
I am a member of the Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers.